Monday, March 17, 2008

My Simple (Sad Yet True) Motto For How I Live My Life

While most people have an exceptionally bright outlook on things, I'm still slightly pessimistic. I go by the 'don't get overly excited for something because when it doesn't work out you can't be that disappointed' way of thinking. However, since college started, I drifted away from that little mantra and began to look at things differently.

I took the change of major in Biology not as being something I couldnt do, but realized that I couldn't see myself doing everyday of my life for the next 40-some years.

I took the loss of friends that I've known for 13 years as out lives chnging as a mere positive thing since they helped make me who I was for the new people that I would get to meet.

And then, there's the job that you'd be perfect for. And that you'd go to pretty much any length to get. You've got people pumping you up about it for months. Finally, it's interview time, and you walk in to see some not so friendly faces and find yourself being asked about how your lack of varsity experience will allow you to coach swimmers with more experience than you.

You walk out the door and automatically know that you're sunk. You can tell and don't need to wait the week for the letter, but eventaully the letter comes to confirm what you've already known for the past 8 days. But you still cry and wonder why.

And from just that simple rejection letter, I snap back in to how I was before college, and why I lived by that motto.

And I wish that I didn't.

No comments: